When Cristosal first started looking at the problem of forced displacement by violence in El Salvador, we were warned not to touch it. It just seemed too big, too complicated. But we dove in anyway, and offered humanitarian and legal assistance to an extended family of 21 people with nowhere to go.
Almost three years later, Cristosal now works with a network of civil society organizations to assist victims of forced displacement by violence. We’re also helping build assistance programs in three state agencies, and piloting a model for assisting victims of forced displacement that is transferrable to other situations of displacement globally.
But it all started with one choice, one action, one case.
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the problems around us. It can seem impossible to take meaningful action when each new day brings more heartbreaking headlines. The truth is, it’s always easier to destroy than it is to build. But together, one case at a time, we can build an environment where peace is possible in the Northern Triangle.
What’s one thing can you do before the end of the year?
- Donate: Just $25 buys a passport for someone fleeing violence; $500 covers medical care for 5 people fleeing violence.
- Participate in #GivingTuesday: Give to Cristosal this Tuesday, November 28, 2017.
- Ask 1-5 others to donate: Not as hard as you might think! Check out these tips to get started.
- Share your Cristosal story: Why do you support Cristosal? Tell your Facebook friends! Use hashtag #onecaseatatime, and don’t forget to include a link where they can donate: www.cristosal.org/give
- Donate a holiday gift: Ask for a donation to Cristosal in your name, or donate to Cristosal to honor someone else!
- Host a party: Your friends are there anyway, why not give a 1-minute spiel about Cristosal and put out a donation jar?
- Set up an info table: If your church, university, or workplace allows it, set out some information about Cristosal and a donation jar (download materials here, or email Hannah to order from VistaPrint).
- Make it fun: Do you love to bake/run/write/watch movies? How could you connect that with telling other people about Cristosal? Share cookies & Cristosal, organize a 5k, write a blog post, have a human rights movie night… Dedicate a day to doing what you love and sharing Cristosal’s story.